Re: COAS

Michael Sobolev wrote:

> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 11:01:21AM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> > It was my understanding that debian was planning to use COAS when it actually
> > comes to fruition. I've been following COAS since Aug. 1998 and the progress has
> > been very slow, slow to the point where I'm wondering about Caldera's commitment.
> > Also, I was quite unimpressed with the early results. I found that the effort to
> > create a common interface for text and GUI made the end result not surprisingly
> > ugly and klunky. In my opinion they should have put the common interface at a
> > lower level and developed the text/command-line and GUI front ends independently.
> Hmm...  OK, the user infterface is the not the part which we should borrow, but
> the rest is quite well thought, do not you find?

Well, actually I'm not too fond of their design although it is quite ground-breaking
and has lots of nice features. I guess it's probably more advance than anything else
out there but then again I'm sure I don't know all of what's out there.

> BTW, COAS is at the version 1.0, and Caldera's OpenLinux comes with it as the
> main engine for administration.  This, I believe, makes me think it's time to
> check whether it's possible to integrate into Debian.
>
> At the moment, Debian lacks anything that would allow to configure the stuff
> from one place.  COAS gives us ready-to-use idea and implementation.  Why not
> make use of it?

I guess I too should take a look at how it is now.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com