Re: COAS

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 11:01:21AM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> It was my understanding that debian was planning to use COAS when it actually
> comes to fruition. I've been following COAS since Aug. 1998 and the progress has
> been very slow, slow to the point where I'm wondering about Caldera's commitment.
> Also, I was quite unimpressed with the early results. I found that the effort to
> create a common interface for text and GUI made the end result not surprisingly
> ugly and klunky. In my opinion they should have put the common interface at a
> lower level and developed the text/command-line and GUI front ends independently.
Hmm...  OK, the user infterface is the not the part which we should borrow, but
the rest is quite well thought, do not you find?

BTW, COAS is at the version 1.0, and Caldera's OpenLinux comes with it as the
main engine for administration.  This, I believe, makes me think it's time to
check whether it's possible to integrate into Debian.

At the moment, Debian lacks anything that would allow to configure the stuff
from one place.  COAS gives us ready-to-use idea and implementation.  Why not
make use of it?

--
Mike