Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 08:27:10AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> i'm against hardcoding the eth0:n alias number into a config file. it
> gets clumsy when you've got a few hundred aliases on a machine. let a
> script count it.
>
> i.e. ip-aliases should have their own config file, rather than clutter
> up the main /etc/interfaces. whether this is done in netbase or a
> virtual-services package doesn't really matter.

What do you think of virtual-services.deb adding

### aliases for virtual-services ####
eth0:0  ip=1.2.3.4
eth0:1  ip=1.2.3.5
eth0:2  ip=1.2.3.6
eth0:3  ip=1.2.3.7
eth0:4  ip=1.2.3.8
### aliases for virtual-services ####

...to /etc/interfaces? Is that enough?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's still any need to add extra fields
to /etc/interfaces or similar to support this?

Oh, there are two reasons why I, personally, have used aliases in the past
-- once, because I was a dialup machine and wanted to have my dialed-up
IP always available because that was the one with the nice hostname, and
I preferred nice.hostname:80 as my home page, rather than localhost:80, or
whatever. The other is miscellaneous testing purposes. So it'd be nice if
virtual-services coped with starting counting from $last+1, or whatever.

Cheers,
aj