Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 08:06:22AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > One note though -- I'm probably going to be a little bit reticent over
> > adding things like completely automated httpd.conf generation. First,
> > because that's really apache (and netgod's) business, not netbase's,
> i don't think that the apache httpd.conf generation should go in
> netbase.

Cool. :)

> however, the config file used to do all the ifconfigs should
> have extra information for other virtual-host services like http and
> ftp.

I dunno. I think an entirely different conffile would be more suitable
here.

In particular, /etc/interfaces needs to specify an address, and an
interface. It might make use of other things too, but they're not
*desperately* necessary.

For virtual hosts, the interface isn't at all important, and the hostname
is really more relevant than the IP address (in particular for virtual
web hosting).

So an /etc/virtualhosts or something file could include such things as
preferred port number, canonical name (if the web browser doesn't support
http/1.1, eg), hostname/ip address (ip address for ftp and mail servers
and kin), and a list of capabilities and options of some sort.

I'm not completely against having this stuff in /etc/interfaces (or a
different filename), but I have a feeling that splitting them would be
better.

> i'm not even sure if httpd.conf generation for vhosts belongs in the
> apache package. i'm thinking of a 'virtual-services' package which
> contains a set of scripts which sysadmins can pick and choose from to
> automate common tasks.

This sounds like the right way to do it to me, too, fwiw.

(and in this context, the script you posted looks good, too, at least
after a cursory glance)

> > and second because I don't want to make a system that while it makes
> > the normal jobs trivial (eg, setting up a virtual host), makes
> > the harder jobs (eg, setting up a virtual host with foo extra,
> > non-standard settings) even worse (eg, by making you add your changes
> > to httpd.conf every time you upgrade netbase or some such).
> ensuring that auto-configurator tools work WITHOUT sacrificing a system
> admin's flexibility is one of my bugbears.  I refuse to use junk which
> does that kind of thing, and i'd be ashamed to write anything that
> committed the same crime myself.

_Great_. :)

I'm not really sure why I had any fears that it might be otherwise around
here, actually. Sorry for the imputation.

Cheers,
aj