Re: variable list in database

    MJH>   Without a doubt, anything that is currently queried by a
    MJH> postinst does indeed need to be handled in some way. My
    MJH> concern is about incomplete solutions. If we have variables
    MJH> in the database that affect a single configuration file, for
    MJH> example, then we'll need to be able to completely describe
    MJH> the configuration file in some way.

  Just to be shockingly rude, I'll draw the obvious (although perhaps
not the best) solution - ship conffiles with variable substitutions at
runtime. Eg, /etc/apache/httpd.conf

ServerName: ${WWWServer/Hostname:-System/Hostname}

  Then, provide some method of allowing site-local configuration files
to be installed instead (although giving a whole new headache of
keeping site-local template files in sync with packaged ones).

m.