Re: variable list in database

    AT> But on the other hand -- one of our major goals is to make
    AT> non-interactive installs possible, which means moving the
    AT> questions that are already in postinst's somewhere else. Some
    AT> of those questions are in the magicfilter postinst.

  Without a doubt, anything that is currently queried by a postinst
does indeed need to be handled in some way. My concern is about
incomplete solutions. If we have variables in the database that affect
a single configuration file, for example, then we'll need to be able
to completely describe the configuration file in some way.

  Otherwise, the situation will arise where, at some site, somewhere,
they'll need to customize the sections that the db doesn't
address, and the only solution readily available will be to copy the
configuration file over manually from elsewhere, at which stage we
have two separate configuration steps, the second one of which
completely negates the first one.

m.