Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

dichro-facd0015@eris.rcpt.to (Mikolaj J. Habryn) writes:

>     WA> We should specify a list of requirements for a database, and
>     WA> base the interface on that. After that we can move the
>     WA> implementation. Expect a proposal on this from me on saturday.
>
>   I don't know if I quite understand you here - surely a database is
> merely one way of implementing the backends to this? I was visualising
> the database backend as being a solution for the case of multiple
> machines with identical configurations - am I missing the point?
>
>   If one is installing a single machine, then all that is required is
> for the scripts to ask questions at install time in exactly the same
> way that they do now. There is no point in storing two copies of the
> configuration, as it doesn't actually serve any practical purpose
> (such as easy replication onto another machine)..

You might want to make a backup of you system. The backup consist of
the Debian CD (you already have), the database of questions and its
answeres and any data thats not from debian (e.g. home or /usr/local)
or has changed relatively to the CD. With that the complete system can
be recovered with a realy small backup. Most of the backup is covered
by the deb packages on the Debian CD one uses for installation and
thus will not be on the backup tape or disk.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin