Re: Configuation management

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 02:30:33PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Oscar Levi wrote:
> > What is see is a very aggressive design proposal.  I'm not in for such
> > a direction at the moment because I want something that will work in a
> > couple of weeks and will solve the really tough problems I experience
> > as an SA.
>
> Ah, we are talking about very different things. This design is meant
> for configuration when installing or upgrading a package only. What
> you are talking about is more what COAS and Linuxconf is mean to do:
> managing configuration of installed software. COAS currently does 1,
> 2, 5, 4 to some degree. Linuxconf is also usefull here and I think it
> does everything you mentioned. It's even packaged (in experimental).
>
> > Let me state that I think it is a good idea to rethink SA from
> > scratch.  I expect that the only intelligent way to do it, though, is
> > to provide a library against which applications can link. Then we can
> > deb-admin-ify applications one by one.
>
> You really want to make everything Debian-specific? I object *very*
> strongly to that approach.

I don't mean debian specific.  I mean deb-admin specific.  I do think
is it a valid goal to corral package developers into a unified
configuration framework.  It could be done in such a way that the
preexisting configuration methods remain intact for those who prefer
it.  The new methods would be build time options.

I'll look at these other packages.  My observation has been that every
project I have seen for SA involves a UI for editing the configuration
files.  This is fine, but the difficulty of it tends to overshadow the
more serious problems.

Thanks for the pointers.