Starting point for admintool (was Re: COAS white paper draft)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	Unfortunately, I think You shall have to provide CLAMS for
>  your package. This is going to take a while.

yes, but that is what we have to do for each flexible administration
tool. Perhaps we should wait for the SDK and see then how difficult it
would be to create the LAMS ;-) . The white paper itself seems to be
the same as the ideas posted here some time ago. The main advantage is
that is is *implemented* now. Perhaps they choose another way to it in
some details, but in the whole it seems to be very well designed (by
reading Calderas white paper).

If our only problem is the specific language for the modules, then we
can/should be able to solve it. It's even less work than writing the
whole beast alone.

One more advantage is the willing to make an administration tool for
all Linux distributions. This one important aspect to move Linux to a more
coherent appearance throughout the distributions. Today you have to
learn a different management tool for each distribution. COAS is a
chance to hide more difference between the distributions for the
benefit of the whole Linux community. Perhaps it can be extended to
maintain different Linux machines from a central place nevertheless
the concrete distribution the machine uses.

My suggestion is that we try to make COAS working on Debian, even if
it has some minor defiances. In the next step we can improve it, i.e.,
to support perl as a module writing language.

It seems to be a very good starting point and we should take the
chance to get a usable administration tool very soon (perhaps it will
work with Debian 2.0).

Bye
  Christian

--