Re: Multilib support?

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the answer!

Yeah, building is where the issue is. gnat-8 and gnat-8:i386 conflict with each other, and there doesn't seem to be a libgnat8-dev package available at all. It's a good thing running isn't an issue - it's a nightmare on the various RHEL variants - but compiling
both 64 and 32 bit applications is our main goal at the moment. As far as I can tell, it's not the compiler itself that's the issue, but rather a lack of a separate non-conflicting package containing the 32-bit RTS.

I'm not totally familiar with packaging for Debian, and especially in this area. I'd happily try to contribute with this, since it's a pretty strong need for us at work.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 17:34, Nicolas Boulenguez <nicolas@debian.org> wrote:
> I've got a use case at work where we have two separate Ada applications -
> one 64-bit, and one 32-bit. We'd like to switch over to Debian from CentOS
> (because CentOS isn't covering our needs), but as far as I can tell, Debian
> doesn't currently support multilib for Ada. Is this still the case?

> If it is, are there any workarounds for compiling both 64 32bit Ada
> applications on a single system? If now, how do I enable it?

Hi.

Most usages of 'multilib' are now covered by 'multiarch'.
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

All multiarch variants of Ada library packages (providing the shared
object) are coinstallable (in your case i386 and amd64), so you will
should no problem *running* an i386 program on an amd64 system.

As far as I know, the same holds for gnat-8 and libgnat8-dev, but most
other -dev packages are not coinstallable yet, so you will probably
need a chroot or something similar to *build* an i386 program.