Re: Versions of the Ada Reference Manual in Debian

Sorry for the delay.

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 11:49:00AM +0200, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
> Op 4-9-2013 1:48, Nicolas Boulenguez wrote:
> > - AdaIC only provides the prefered form of modification ("unformatted
> >   sources") for the *latest* version of the manual.
> Yes, and that is all you need as the older manuals do not change (*).

Debian tries to never distribute a generated file whose preferred form
of modification is unavailable. I agree that this rule may seem a bit
ridiculous in these circumstances.

> > - These sources are available via a ZIP archive whose name contains no
> >   version. In other words, its content may change with the same name,
> >   breaking assumptions of downstream packagers.
> I do not see why _existing_ manuals change would change ?

As I mentioned:

> > - Their history (> 2005) is also visible via a CVS web interface. The
> >   current ZIP archive does not even match the Ada2012_Final tag of the
> >   CVSWeb interface (even if ignoring new lines and casing problems).

Both the zip and the tag are supposed to define the standard and not
to evolve, but the diff is almost 600 lines long.

For the moment, I will try to keep 2005 and 2012, as long as Stephe
provides sources for both.