Re: Versions of the Ada Reference Manual in Debian

Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013, at 2:48, Nicolas Boulenguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 04:06:41PM +0200, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
>> Adaic provides HTML browsable versions of older standards at [1],
>> giving the impression that the manuals are available as free software.
>> However, packaging is not trivial, as you can see at [2].
>> - Formatting them requires either non-free tools, either a formatter
>>   whose source are only available via the CVSWeb interface (no ZIP).
>>   This interface handles casing and new lines poorly. Even finding the
>>   right version of each source file is tricky.
>
> I agree that CVSWeb interface is not optimal and getting the source
> code is tricky, but the formatter tool should be under GPLv3 these days.
>
> For example, see
> http://www.ada-auth.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/arm/progs/arm_file.adb?rev=1.3
>     -- ARM_Form is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     -- it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3
>     -- as published by the Free Software Foundation.
>
> And if you contact the author as listed in that source file, he
> probably can create a distributable zip package of the source code
> for you (which then can be hosted elsewhere since it is under
> GPLv3).

Which I did; http://www.stephe-leake.org/ada/arm.html

I wrote the texinfo part of the formatter code.

All the sources are also in the ada-france mtn server (I should mention
that on the website).

I have a reasonable relationship with Randy for managing changes to the
sources, and have no problem getting the individual files from CVSWeb
(the Makefile uses wget for that).

I'm happy to serve as the upstream for the Debian packaging; I intend to
maintain my package on my website.

Let me know if you need any changes in the package I'm providing.

There is a slightly modified version of the ARM that I need to package.

--
-- Stephe