Re: Split between gcc-x.y and gnat-x.y source packages

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 14:54 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Svante Signell wrote:
> > A side question: Why is gnat released separately from the rest of the
> > Gnu
> > Compiler Collection (GCC)?
> The benefits of this split are many:
> * for new ports like the Hurd, the absence of a port of gnat-x.y does
> not block the porting of gcc-x.y :)

One problem that hit me when building the gnat cross-compiler and
building for the target is that the ada-libgnatvsn.diff patch breaks the
ability to do so. That patch to src/gnattools/Makefile.in removes the
gnattools-cross target for Debian. As a result I had to do
cross-building of the gnattools form a non-debian patched gcc. This
caused a lot of problems, which I did work around. Still, I think I'll
file a debian bug about this problem. Is it much work to re-enable the
gnattools-cross target?

> See also /usr/share/doc/gnat-4.6-base/README.maintainers.

I've read that, thanks. Maybe it should be updated, it seems to be from
2007. One thing that I did not find in the READMEs is that you should
apt-get source gcc-4.x and then link the tar file to the gnat
directory. Can this information be added to a convenient place, please.