Re: gcc-gnat sources

torsdagen den 21 juli 2011 skrev Ludovic Brenta:
> Björn Persson writes:
> > Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> >> The ideal way to resolve this problem is to build gprbuild against
> >> libgnatvsn (GNAT Version Library, GPL3 with Library Exception) and
> >> libgnatprj (GNAT Project File parser, pure GPL), two libraries that I
> >> created for this very purpose.  In Debian, I build these libraries
> >> from the GCC sources; the -dev packages place the sources in
> >> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/libgnat{vsn,prj} so that other programs can
> >> use them.  Gnatmake and GPS are two such programs and gprbuild is a
> >> good third candidate.
> >
> > Have you tried to submit the patch to build those libraries upstream?
> > Was it rejected for some reason?
>
> Not submitted yet; for starters, I have yet to sign the copyright
> assignment and return it to the FSF.

OK. I was wondering if I could submit it to speed the process up, but it
sounds like you have to do it yourself if there is copyright assignment
involved.

> Also, these patches make libgnat,
> libgnatvsn and libgnatprj necessary on the host; this is a major change
> compared to the current situation where libgnat is necessary only on the
> target (and not all targets at that).

I can agree that it's a major change but I hope they won't reject it on those
grounds. Would it be a lot of trouble to make the build system offer both
static and dynamic linking? Static linking would then be very similar to the
current situation, but Debian and Fedora would choose to link dynamically.

Björn Persson