Re: debian installer accessibility for arm64

Frank Carmickle, le mer. 08 mars 2023 08:23:27 -0500, a ecrit:

> > I have updated the image above with the latest kernel from debian, which
> > now includes sound drivers, could you download it again and try it?
>
> I have tried it. I have found that I couldn't, unlike the last image you made, get it to come up talking.

Ah?

> Is it that you thought that speech wouldn't work?

No, it's supposed to have the audio drivers, and espeakup, and thus have
speech synthesis.

> If so, you are correct, it does not. It seems as though the boot loader isn't including the appropriate kernel options, but I can't tell because when I press 's' it gives me the graphical installer.

That's not expected. How did you actually drive the grub menu, precisely?

How do you run your VM? I'm using

qemu-system-aarch64 -cdrom mini.iso -m 1G -cpu max -machine type=virt -bios /usr/share/qemu-efi-aarch64/QEMU_EFI.fd -device intel-hda -device hda-output -serial stdio -device virtio-gpu-pci -device usb-ehci -device usb-kbd

and that comes up talking after pressing s on the virtual USB keyboard
or on the serial port (i.e. the graphical window or the terminal)

> When I arrow down to the entry that should be "install with speech" I don't get any output at all on the serial line.

You mean after validating in a grub menu that does show up on the serial
line?

Please be *very* precise in your report, since I have no idea how things
are happening on your side.

> I've been trying to find the build instructions for the Debian Installer. Do you know where I can find them?

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build
but quite often there are rough edges.