Re: espeakup stops speaking bookworm arm64

On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 at 10:20, James Addison <jay@jp-hosting.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 at 23:38, James Addison <jay@jp-hosting.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 20, 2023, at 08:47:11, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Perhaps the following would also be worth trying:
> > >
> > > Rebuild Espeakup with compiler optimizations turned off and with debug symbols enabled. This might produce a beter gdb backtrace if you connect to the process when it's failing to generate output. You might also need to rebuild Espeak, though.
> >
> > Working towards a better backtrace is a good recommendation.  I'd also
> > like to mention that there are existing Debian bookworm debug symbol
> > packages available for both espeak and espeakup that can avoid the
> > need to recompile from source.
>
> As a follow-up and partly for my own future reference: there is good
> documentation about retrieving backtraces on Debian systems at
> https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace

I don't have much to (bug)report here yet, but have begun using
espeakup as a screen reader via Orca in GNOME.  CPU usage on the
machine seemed relatively high, and at times text input became
unresponsive (both in-browser, where both window scrolling and
input-field text entry became unreliable).  The espeakup process also
segfaulted once (this was over approximately 8 hours or so of
continuous usage).