How can I get usable information with current whois?

When I type
whois domainname
It gives me a lot of stuff, with much of it redacted, meaning it isn't shown. It used to tell me about the domain name, including how long it was valid.
Why was the previous version mesed up? The man page is confusing. What do I type to get information that I got last year?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer