Re: Braille embossing on Debian Bullseye

Hi Samuel

Samuel Thibault schrieb am 18.04.2022, 18:18 +0200:
>> >Uh, perhaps there is a low-level communication problem, was that through
>> >USB or Ethernet?
>>
>> It is connected via USB.
>
>I had had issues with USB connectivity on the Everest V3/V4 of our
>university, we even had to replace the communication card. I'd recommend
>trying with ethernet.

Are you saying it is a hardware issue or are you hinting at a software issue on
GNU/Linux? I have used the embosser successfully from Windows over USB, so I
can confirm that the hardware works. Using ethernet is not an alternative, as
we have extremely restricted networking policies, with multiple layers of
proxies.

>> >echo 'Hello, world!' | file2brl -p -Chyphenate=yes -CliteraryTextTable=en-us-brf.dis,en_GB.tbl,de-g2.ctb,braille-patterns.cti  -CinputTextEncoding=UTF8 -CbraillePages=yes -CbraillePageNumberAt=bottom -CpageNumberBottomSeparateLine=yes -CprintPages=yes -CprintPageNumberAt=top -CpageNumberTopSeparateLine=yes -CpageSeparator=yes -CpageSeparatorNumber=yes -CcontinuePages=yes -CcellsPerLine=29 -ClinesPerPage=27
>>
>> Ok, I have the issue on both of my Debian Bullseye systems.
>>
>> $ file2brl --version
>> file2brl (liblouisutdml) 2.9.0
>
>Ah, indeed with that version I'm getting issues, but what I notice is
>rather:
>
>/usr/share/liblouis/tables/de-g2-core.cti:38: error: More than 256 characters
[…]

Ok, upgrading liblouis works, although I'm getting a few warnings now.
Unrelated though, the output looks strange to me:

  HEQO1 _W6
[…]
                           #A

6-dot braille should not have dot 7 around ("hello") and the page number "#A" should rather be "#a". It might be a configuration/braille table issue. Just in case  you/anyone is aware of the cause. I'll look into it as soon as the embosser works :).

Thanks
Sebastian