Re: To all candidates: Debian and people with disabilities

Hello,

Devin Prater, le lun. 21 mars 2022 22:10:15 -0500, a ecrit:
> As far as backports, my problem is enabling it. Normal desktop users probably
> won't even know what that is, and the syntax is rather ugly, to me at least.

Ok, that's one point that could be worked on: creating an easy way to
enable backports. At least as a question in the installer, and possibly
in e.g. synaptic or such after installation. Please report this idea to
the debian installer team and to the synaptic package.

> I'd personally like to see accessibility on the same level as security or very
> important bug fix updates, because sometimes they are,

Actually this is already considered so. For instance, two important
accessibility fixes have gone into the dot-release that will happen this
week-end.

But like security, just uploading a new version of software to Debian
stable is dangerous for stability. New software do not only have fixes,
but also do have regression as well, that's why the release team only
accepts small targetted fixes in Debian stable, whose changes can be
closely scrutinized to make sure they aren't bringing regressions.

> especially when something like the Terminal bug happened with Orca,
> where Orca couldn't read the Mate Terminal.

I'm not aware of the issue?
Bugs that aren't reported are bugs that won't be fixed ;)

> Another thing is braille support. BRLTTY, the package for driving
> Braille displays, gets updated like once every three months or so with
> support for new Braille displays.

That is what backports is for, just like it is for the Linux kernel when
people buy newer hardware. So we're back to the question at the top.

> it would be nice if whoever is elected to remember us, and setting
> aside a day to work on accessibility issues would be an amazing start.

Promoting awareness of accessibility issues in Debian communication
would be the role of a DPL, yes.

But I don't think it would have to be for the DPL to lead work on
accessibility: *anybody* can do that, so let's not put the load over
somebody who will already have a lot to do.

Really, leading work on accessibility is mostly about taking the time
to identify a problem, discussing with various teams to find out where
it can be fixed, and then finding volunteers to work on the fix. One
doesn't even need to know programming to do this, and this does not have
to be just one person to do it (otherwise things will move, yes, but at
a very slow pace).