Re: Speech-Dispatcher Won't Install

Chime,

There were a few things wrong with your installation - at least from our last conversation.

You had both your voxin IBM-TTS voice installed and your new Voxin Embedded voice installed;  You cannot have both installed when you are using console speech, you can have both if you just use orca inside MATE or other graphical user interface.  I advised you to completely uninstall voxin from your system using the voxin install with the switch -u to uninstall.  I don't know any way to just uninstall one voice and not the other and it's easier just to uninstall everything.  You will still have espeakng to speak in the console.

You told me in this email that you uninstalled voxinup - which is good.  Voxinup has been discontinued.  It has been replaced by speechd-up.

Here are the errors you sent me - I apologize I did not see your email until after I read your email to Debian-Accessibility.

From reading your email it seems you did NOT uninstall voxin as I suggested.  Uninstall voxin using the voxin installer you were provided with with the "-u" switch, it will remove all voices from your system, then install just the voxin embedded voice you want in your console.

The voxin installer will install and configure the system for you, with one exception.  Since you are using console, you will not have your voxin voice at the log in screen, you will have espeakup.  The README file within the voxin archive tells you how to configure spd-conf as user, but you MUST also configure it system wide by using your root account to have your voxin embedded voice at login.

You also must reboot after doing this, and when you reboot you should have your installed voice.

You can test the voice using:

spd-say "Hello"

and
voxin-say "Hello" | aplay

Your email to me appears below my signature, but what I see is that you didn't do as I asked you to:  Uninstall voxin and the reinstall it using ONLY the voice you wish to hear.  I believe you have Samantha and another voice as well as the original IBM TTS in English.

Also note that although the IBM TTS voice is supported with emacspeak, the emacspeak engine for Voxin Embedded has not been designed yet, there were some one the emacspeak list that were interested in doing that, but it always takes time.  I'm looking forward to the day when Voxin embedded voices are available for emacspeak, but that day is in the future.  The only voxin voice supported now is the IBM TTS voice, and if you install that voice, you will have difficulties in getting your desired voice in console.  It can be done however, but it must be done by manually reconfiguring the configuration files of speech dispatcher to do so, and that is more difficult for me than is worth while.  With ORCA, it is just a matter of selecting the desired voice, with console, the configuration files must be edited individually if more than one voice is installed.

Uninstall voxin completely, then install the voice you wish to use - only one voice - and voxin will install speechd-up for you.  As explained above, as it's not yet documented in the README file within the voxin archive files, to have voxin embedded voice at log in when using console to log in, you must also use spd-conf under root to configure system wide.  Use the same instructions in the README file for configurating spd-conf as user but do so using root and using system wide, the answers will be the same as given in the README file.

Best wishes,
David

Chime wrote to me off list:

Last evening I did uninstall voxin up, but as you   will see I had
errors installing speechd-up. Since I am not running a graphical desktop, I
don't need ORCA, but will look at your other suggestions, especially after we
come home on Wednesday.
Removing voxinup (1:2.3.3-1) ...
Setting up speechd-up (0.5~20110719-11) ...
Job for speechd-up.service failed because the control process exited with error
code.
See "systemctl status speechd-up.service" and "journalctl -xeu
speechd-up.service" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript speechd-up, action "restart" failed.
x speechd-up.service - LSB: Interface between speakup and speech-dispatcher
      Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/speechd-up; generated)
      Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2022-03-05 20:48:10 PST; 33ms
ago
        Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
     Process: 456446 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/speechd-up start (code=exited,
status=1/FAILURE)
         CPU: 29ms

Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456446]: Starting Interface between speakup
and speech-dispatcher : speechd-up
Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456451]: [Sat Mar  5 20:48:08 2022] speechd:
Configuration has been read from "/etc/speechd-up.conf"
Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456446]: Starting speechd-up...
Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456446]: To work, speechd-up needs speakup and
speakup_soft modules.
Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456446]: They are loaded automatically. If you
don't want, type
Mar 05 20:48:08 chime speechd-up[456446]: rmmod speakup speakup_soft
Mar 05 20:48:10 chime speechd-up[456563]:  failed!
Mar 05 20:48:10 chime systemd[1]: speechd-up.service: Control process exited,
code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 05 20:48:10 chime systemd[1]: speechd-up.service: Failed with result
'exit-code'.
Mar 05 20:48:10 chime systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Interface between
speakup and speech-dispatcher.
dpkg: error processing package speechd-up (--configure):
  installed speechd-up package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 1
  speechd-up
Back again live, I did an apt install for that package. Thanks
Chime