espeakup alsa not flushing buffer as of sid 20210905

Hello list,

I just upgraded to sid and have found a bug that seems to have crept back in.

On boot the system is working as desired, we reading quickly line by line, jumping over lines, the audio buffer is flushed and speech reads the lines as you land on them. After a few minutes of the system running the buffer no longer flushes quickly and so speech talks over itself.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be changing?

Any ideas of what I should be looking at to track this down?

Thanks much,
--FC