Re: Fwd: Iggdrasil, a new amazing screenreader

I've been following this sometimes-difficult discussion intently
as it goes to the heart of what computer users who happen to be
blind deal with on a daily basis especially when things go wrong.
How much insult can your working environment take before you
simply can't rescue what's there without either blowing the whole
thing away for a fresh install, getting somebody sighted to watch
the screen at 3:00 on a Sunday morning while you poke around,
trying to get the system to boot again.

	We've got the same darn problem today that I first
encountered the first time I ever laid hands on a microcomputer
which was in 1977 or so.

	I got to go to a presentation by the University of
Houston, Clear Lake City which was given at Oklahoma State
University.  I was a graduate student then and one of my
advisors got me a ticket to attend.

	My knowledge then was severely limited to say the least
and I even remember asking the professor who gave the
demonstration whether this 6800-base microcomputer was actually
connected to a big main-frame on campus or if it was the whole
thing.

	He was very nice about it all and said it was the whole
computer, not connected to anything else.

	The box probably had only a few KB of ram in it, 8 big
toggle switches across the front of it and probably a pair of
7-segment LED readouts for the display.

	No!  It wasn't accessible but it could have been made
that way if someone connected an extra device to the
seven-segment display drivers.

	It's the same darn problem we have now only in it's
nascent form.  If only we could just read what those LED readouts
said.

	Of course, I knew nothing about computers at that moment
except that you could get them to play music, run machines and
even talk if they were powerful enough and programmed by people
who were smart at their jobs.

	In 1965 or so, I heard a radio program in which a Bell
Labs computer had been programmed to sing "A Bicycle Built for Two"

in a male voice that sounded unearthly but was understandable.

	In High school, a teacher played that same Bell Labs
computer singing "A Bicycle Built for two" with a musical
accompaniment of electronic notes along with the voice.

	I wondered at the time how does one do that?

	So basically, electronic computers that can talk and or
print Braille have been around in industrial systems for over
sixty years and the problem is still that they have tremendous
potential but it doesn't come by accident.  Somebody has to
deliberately decide to solve a specific problem and whether that
solution fits in such a way as to solve other problems, is almost
an accident if it does.

	We still have this fixation on a visual readout as being
the sole way to peek inside the operation of the system and
absolutely 0 alternative methods to do so or to put it another
way, there is no Plan B and it's an utter shock when you raise
the issue.  Imagine, as a small child, being told that the stove
is hot but giving your hand a third-degree burn every day because
one insists on touching the stove even though the outcome is
quite predictable.  We would call that mental illness anywhere
else because most of us don't like being burned so tend to
remember how we got that way and we figure out to, dare I say it?,
learn to use the mitt to pickup the hot pan and not have to go to
the emergency room every day for the same reason.

	One day, we may have a video evaluation device that
connects where a monitor does, reads the screen via OCR plus
looks for a cursor blinking away somewhere on the screen and
gives us the functional equivalent of a screen reader or
talking/Braille monitor but until that day happens, it's a
chicken-and-egg situation.

	We need the computer running for the screen reader to
work and we need a running computer to produce speech or Braille, period.

	This problem will persist in almost it's original form as
long as Speech/Braille is an afterthought and the full system
must be running for this afterthought to actually work.

	I have tasted what life could be like with such an
interface when I bought a device that takes VGA output and turns
it in to web cam video and feeds it in to a USB port on a
computer equipped with the appropriate driver.

	I used Tesseract which is an open-source OCR application
developed by several blue-chip companies and was able to read the
output of a few PC's that have VGA ports on them.  I got
letter-perfect text and could almost have used this setup as a
screen reader except for the fact that the video constantly
changes and the system would have to continuously stream the video
in order to even begin to function like a screen reader.

	This would truly be a game changer but that may be what
we need to hopefully be talking about something other than
repeating the same discussion which has been going on way too
long.

	Don't misunderstand me.  I am not criticizing anybody's
position, here, but am stating what the real problem boils down
to.

	The good news is that it is doable but the bad news is
that it is complex but when it ever gets done, a lot of the same
old stuff we've been talking about when I got in to computeing
back in 1979 and earlier for others of you will hopefully be an
unpleasant memory like walking barefoot five miles to school
up-hill in the snow and somehow walking 5 miles up-hill again
barefoot back home.  I get it.  They moved the hill during the day
so it was up-hill both ways.

	I like a good snappy console screen reader that responds
quickly and helps me trouble-shoot when things go South but there
is a good argument for a good graphical interface screen reader
too.  Nobody should have to choose these days.

	Martin McCormick