Re: Things to cover in my bits from the DPL talk at Debconf

Along with the good, I’d also talk about the not so good, inaccessibility of QT apps, like Rosegarden, and even CLI applications, like RTV, and Gnu Typist, and the complexity of setting up CLI apps which can be made accessible, like Mutt, VIM, and Alpine.

I’d also demonstrate Emacs with Emacspeak, if possible, to show the—in my oppinion—greatest setup for blind users of Linux, if you can work within the confines of Emacs.

I’d also stress the need for remembering accessibility for all software developers, and the need for accessible educational programs, like typing tutors for adults, not just children, and applications for embossing braille. BrailleBlaster does have a Linux application, but it fails to run, at least with Orca enabled.

Speaking of Orca, I’d stress that it is open source as well, and that if a developer finds that it does not work with their application, it can be scripted to do so.

Seriously, open source has a great opportunity to change the lives of blind people, including people who are not developers, for the better. But, as long as inaccessible frameworks are popular, CLI apps are too complex to be used by normal computer users, and use ways of displaying content that are hard for screen readers to use, Gnu Typist, and accessible educational programs do not exist that meet the need of adult users, Linux for the blind cannot take off in any meaningful significance.

As an Assistive Technology Instructor and sympathizer of free software, I would love to one day recommend Linux as an amazing access solution, but cannot because of the above concerns. The more developers who know of these concerns, perhaps the more good can be done to address them.