espeakup stopping speaking and slugish interuption of speech

Hello list,

For quite some time, years, I’ve been running

espeak1.48.04+dfsg-5
espeakup1:0.80-1
libasound2:amd641.1.2-1
libasound2-data1.1.2-1

on hold. If I run anything after these versions I run into trouble with espeakup stopping speaking.. Today I tried current buster and I’m still seeing these issues. A simple

pkill -1 espeakup

gets it speaking again.

After downgrading the packages to the versions I mentioned above ,I’m able to go about my work.. This hardware is vmware fusion 8.5.10  running on  multiple macs with differing macos versions.

What can I do to help get this fixed?

Thank you
—FC