Re: When will a working version of fenrir screen reader come back to testing?

Howdy,

whoops i forgott something to say:
first of all you need to install:
- sox (for soundicons)
- speech-dispatcher (for speech)
- python-speechd (for speech)
with your packagemaager.
it should look like this
sudo apt-get install sox speech-dispatcher python-speechd

cheers chrys
Zitat von chrys@linux-a11y.org:

Howdy Doug,

if fenrir 1.5 is not available in your distribution you can install it
via pip3. i uploaded it to the pypi repository.
# 1. install it via pip3
sudo pip3 install fenrir-screenreader
# 2. if you have pulse running you need to configure it (run it once
for root, and once as your user to configure pulse). you dont need this
su -c "/usr/share/fenrir/tools/configure_pulse.sh"
/usr/share/fenrir/tools/configure_pulse.sh
# 3. if you want to use speech-dispatcher this needs a settings
profile for user root.
su -c "spd-conf"
# just hit enter for all the questions, but for output module select
alsa or pulse (whatever you use).
# otherwhise speech-dispatcher is not able to start.

maybe restart to update the settings for all the pulse instances.

sudo systemctl start fenrir
done..

you find the settings in
/etc/fenrir/settings/settings.conf
where you can configure the speech engine and a lot of other stuff.
fenrir currently supports 3 different speech methods:
- speech-dispatcher "speechdDriver" (default)
- espeak "espeakDriver" (via python-espeak)
- generic "genericDriver" (via calling an subprocess)

as long the wiki is down for maintaince (i will bring it back in the
next 24 hours) fenrir offers an manpage version of the wiki:
man fenrir

for any other assistance feel free to join us on IRC:
network:irc.linux-a11y.org
room:#a11y

cheers chrys
Zitat von Doug Smith <romans10.9@minister.com>:

Ok, here is a good one.  I wonder when fenrir screen reader will bemaking a comeback appearance in testing.  I have found it impossible
to get speakup activated again once the module speakup_soft.ko was
moved back to staging.

I am using kali linux which is a debian derivative and it is based
on testing.  I would like to get my command line side of things
talking again as soon as possible, but I cannot get anything other
than silence out of speakup since kali 2017.2, and it is really
frustrating.

If it is possible to get speakup talking again, I will take that as
I am more familiar with speakup than fenrir.

Thanks.

--

Romans 10

 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and
shalt believe
in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.