Re: spd-conf worked in debian 8, but not debian 9/stretchX

On 8/1/17, Mark Peveto <southernprince73@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
>> Mark Peveto, on mar. 01 août 2017 16:33:28 -0500, wrote:
>> > When I try to use spe-conf to set speech dispatcher to work with libao
>> > instead of pulseaudio, spe-conf doesn't seem to work in stretch.
>>
>> Yes, this is a bug which was reported, but reported too late for getting
>> fixed in Stretch 9.0.  We can perhaps get a fix into Stretch 9.1.
>>
>> > How do I go about correcting this short of reinstalling jessie?
>>
>> You could try to reinstall only the speech-dispatcher package from
>> Jessie.
>
> Samuel,
> Tell me how to do that, and I'll try.

Hi, Mark.. If this was me, I use terminal command line to do my
package management (installation and removals) so I would do something
like this:

apt-get install --reinstall speech-dispatcher

That does in fact reinstall *ONLY* speech-dispatcher. If there are
dependencies involved, that command does NOT touch them. If any
dependencies exist, they have to be determined and manually
reinstalled one by one (or as a group in a single command), also.

If you've never done that using apt-get, there will possibly be some
prep work, e.g. running the command "apt-get update" first, that needs
done specific to your setup.

If you use a different package manager such as aptitude or synaptic, I
don't use those so I don't know their method for doing the same. As
well known as aptitude and synaptic are, though, there must surely be
related documentation on how to perform the above or similar via those
alternatives to apt-get.

Good luck!

Cindy
--