Re: espeak-ng fork of espeak

Hello,

Reece Dunn, on Sun 11 Sep 2016 08:42:21 +0100, wrote:
> ieee80.c is present in other applications and libraries with similar headers:
>
> 1.  wxWidgets (extended.c) -- [3]https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/blob/
> master/src/common/extended.c#L20
> 2.  sox (aiff.c) -- [4]https://searchcode.com/codesearch/view/18633063/#l-1043
> 3.  nyquist (ieeecvt.c) -- [5]https://github.com/vijayrudraraju/nyquist/blob/
> master/snd/ieeecvt.c
> 4.  speech-tools (EST_wave_utils.cc) -- [6]http://www.festvox.org/docs/
> speech_tools-2.4.0/EST__wave__utils_8cc_source.html#l00626

Well, that doesn't make it a piece of free software, and Debians'
ftpmaster may not buy that argument, since all these projects may have
just been sloppy and just copy/pasted the code without caring about the
only line of useful copyright information:

 * Copyright (C) 1988-1991 Apple Computer, Inc.
 * All rights reserved.

which basically means non-free... I can understand that perhaps the
source has been freed at some point, but there is no notice to back
that.

Looking a bit more, I have found this:

http://www.realitypixels.com/turk/opensource/ToFromIEEE.c.txt
(linked from http://www.realitypixels.com/turk/opensource/index.html)

That file will be bought by ftp-master :)

> | Also, release tarballs usually contain ./configure etc., i.e.
> | autoreconf -i was run before making the tarball, so the user can just
> | ./configure && make && sudo make install
>
> I have included the `autogen.sh` script to generate those files (as used by
> wayland and various other projects). Thus:
>
>     ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && sudo make install
>
> I could generate the configure scripts, etc. but they are tied to the version I
> generate them with (e.g. generating the tarball on testing will make them
> incompatible with stable and wheezy).

?!

That's the contrary.

Not providing the generated ./configure file means that people that want
to build on an oldie system will *have* to use autoconf/automake at
least recent enough for your autoconf.ac file and Makefile.am file to
work: AC_PREREQ([2.63]) means they *have* to have at least autoconf
2.63 for instance. If they don't have it, they're screwed.

On the contrary, if you provide the generated files, people will not
have to have autoconf/automake *at all* to build the software. The only
case where they'd need them is if they want to modify configure.ac and
Makefile.am: the auto-regeneration of autoconf and automake may not
work so fine if the system's autoconf and automake is not the same
version, but it's easy to circumvent that: just run autoreconf -fi which
overrides all files from the other version.

> | Also, are the generated voice files architecture-dependent?  In espeak,
> | there used to be a difference between little-endian and big-endian
> | architectures.
>
> Yes they are.

Ok, so they should not be put in $datadir, but in $libdir, since
$datadir is supposed to only contain arch-independent files.