method for changing wireless networks in Debian Stretch with mate installed from the command line

Hi, I have installed the Stretch Debian release with software speech and get the screen reader on message from orca or the console login prompt when I reboot the system. My question is if all I wish to do currently is to change wireless networks is there a way to do this from the console so I don't have to login into mate as of yet I hear speech but when I try to interact with the screen using the keyboard I get no speech? I mainly use the console but if I could edit some configuration file and change the network this way instead of always going into X windows to do this this would be nice. The /etc/wpa_supplicant directory has no configuration file with the network information in it. Nick Gawronski