Re: [compiz] Accessibility of Cairo/OpenGL text: ATK without GTK?

Hey Luca

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Luca Saiu <lsaiu@hypra.fr> wrote:
> On 2015-04-13 at 15:05, Luca Saiu wrote:
>
>> I was initially surprised after discovering that the window title is not
>> drawn with GTK
>
> Just to make this clear, the window title is vocalized *after* switching
> window, but that's too late.  A blind user will want to cycle among the
> open windows one by one before choosing one.

That's an interesting question, since I suppose the text plugin (which
handles the drawing of the text for all switchers except
staticswitcher and the normal switcher) wasn't really written with
this in mind.

I imagine the end-goal here would probably be to find out when a
switcher intends to display text and then emit a signal of some sort
using d-bus.

I initially thought you could probably hook into the function where
text is rendered[1], but I don't know if that's exactly what you want.
Plugins can pre-render the texture containing the text at any time,
but its up to them to draw it on-screen.

That said, I'm sure they all follow the same logic. Perhaps its a
candidate for refactoring into a utility function in the text plugin,
which can also emit such a signal?

Sam.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~compiz-team/compiz/0.9.12/view/head:/plugins/text/src/text.cpp#L370
[2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~compiz-team/compiz/0.9.12/view/head:/plugins/text/src/text.cpp#L481