Re: solution to the problem of orca and gecko not working in non-gnome environment

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 12:59 PM, am_dxer@fastmail.fm wrote:
> In my XFCE environment, It appears that the problem is occurring from a
> Gtk module import path issue. I coppied the
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/modules directory to /usr/lib/gtk-2.0
> and things work for me in the Mozilla apps.

There are a couple of things I forgot to add to my message earlier.
Firstly, I apologize for suggesting such an ugly solution to this
problem. I hoped that by making this known, at least people would know
what was causing the problem and that someone who understood Debian
packaging much better than I would be able to find a more elegant
solution that would get the Mozilla apps to load the gtk modules from
where Debian keeps them based on packaging policy. Another thing I was
thinking about today is the possibility of speech from Orca in the
Light-dm greeter to provide an accessible log in experience. I know that
Ubuntu has a talking Light-dm so it is possible that it might not take
too much work to enable this functionality in Debian. I was planning on
downloading a version of ubuntu and trying to figure out how they are
doing this but I figured I would post this here in case anyone has any
idea of how this is working.