Help getting espeakup to speak again

Hi all,

I am running Debian testing. However, unfortunately I am not able to use speakup because of some problems with espeakup. Since BRLTTY does not support my Braille display, this means that my Debian box is not usable at all… Luckily enough, I installed the SSH server on it before this problem started occurring, so I can perform the needed tasks to fix the problem.

So, getting to the issue details: the problem started occurring immediately after upgrading to Debian testing. It looks like the espeakup service does not start successfully. In fact, the output of
systemctl status espeakup
is the following:
● espeakup.service - LSB: Speakup/espeak connector
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/espeakup)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since ven 2014-12-05 20:54:10 CET; 2min 2s ago
  Process: 246 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/espeakup start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
dic 05 20:54:17 host_name espeakup[246]: wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)

If I type via SSH
espeak “any string”
the string is played through the Remote pc sound card, but the following errors appear:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:947:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Obviously, I entered these commands connected via SSH since I am blind and I cannot use that machine without speech support. The system is a clean Debian installation upgraded to testing; the only additional packages I installed are the ones installed by running
apt-get install ssh
. So there is no desktop installed.
Not sure if this can help, but apt tells me that “alsabase” has been automatically installed and is not needed anymore, so it can be removed by performing
apt-get autoremove
. Of course I didn’t do that… And it really sounds weird to me that alsabase is not required by any other package and could/should be removed...

Do you have any idea about what is going on? If so, could you tell me how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vincenzo.