Installing Debian With USB Serial Braille on Mac Mini 6,1 via EFI

Hi,

I'd like to put Debian on this Mac Mini 6,1 natively and use it as my Internet gateway and server, all the functions requiring OS X having been delegated to an always-on iMac.

I copied the latest daily netinst iso to a USB stick, and booted from it.  For now, attached via USB is a PacMate display and a keyboard.

It boots via EFI; I know this because I get the same result even if I zero out the first 440 bytes of the USB device.  I am in EFI something.  What something is it?  How do I keyboard-navigate EFIgrub, and type boot parameters?

Pressing enter, nothing else, I get BRLTTY initialisation message on my PM display, followed by an immovable cursor.  I could learn the PM keys, but really wanted to use my BrailleNote Apex, using the usbserial interface.  This requires getting an appropriate module, ipaq, loaded up with parameters.  But first I need to tackle the problem of what happens once I'm in EFIgrub.  Whatever I do, pressing "e" to get into edit mode, typing "expert blah blah" as though I were in isolinux, I never boot; only by pressing just enter do I get the BRLTTY message.  How can I reliably start up an expert installer with parameters to turn off recommends, load ipaq, pass it parameters, etc?

Anyone else been here, and know what the process for starting the installer from EFIgrub is with parameters?  I really want to install in EFI mode rather than BIOS mode.  If I must install in BIOS mode, I suppose it's possible to install the loader to the ESP during the install process--but I'd like the Debian installer to do that for me, on the primary SSD (it has two).  So I'd prefer an EFI install, if possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sabahattin