Re: Why are accessibility problems considered to be low priority?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:54:54PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Doug Smith, le Wed 19 Jun 2013 16:47:10 -0400, a écrit :
> > This is just a question I happen to have after watching the bug reports come over the debian accessibility list.  I have noticed that the priority on
> > all the accessibility bugs is marked as low.  Why is this?
>
> Would you have an example?
>
> I have actually been pleased to notice the contrary among the Debian
> community: a bug that makes the machine unusable for users, even if only
> a small portion of all users, is considered grave.  A bug that makes
> the machine only less usable is of course less important, be it for
> accessibility reasons or not.
That has been my observation as well. Bugs are priorised according to a
fairly extensive set of rules which are not (directly) related to a11y
but work in most users' favour most of the time. So, in order to
understand why a bug is priorised the way it is, you have to look at
both, the impact it has on the package's own usability as well as that
which it has on the system as a whole.
Cheers,
S.M.
--