Re: release speech-dispatcher 0.8 with dotconf requirement lowered to 1.0

Jarek Czekalski <jarekczek@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> Fine. So we have a fallback solution. Now what my idea was. It's
> possible to run speech-dispatcher 0.8 without upgrading dotconf from
> 1.0 to 1.3.
>
> The commit introducing the 1.3 requirement for dotconf is this one:
> http://git.freebsoft.org/?p=speechd.git;a=commit;h=eafe367b85d2077d1818dcb469009801d7bf3f4b
> Commit message:
> dot.conf versions before 1.3 have memory allocation issues which can
> cause a crash, so we need at least this version.
>
> A report on possible crash is also here, on speechd mailing list:
> http://lists.freebsoft.org/pipermail/speechd/2010q4/003614.html
>
> However Paul did not witness any crash reports regarding
> speech-dispatcher 0.7 on Debian. Dotconf is used only when reading
> configuration files, so maybe the problems (if any) can be present
> only at startup. This makes me think that while having problems with
> 1.3 dotconf release, we could lower the dotconf requirement to 1.0.
> I tested this and it seems to work.

That seems reasonable, but I also think it's time to deal with the updating of
the dotconf package. It will require a little work from Debian developers, of
course, although I'm sure the latest patch is close to complete, as it has had
the benefit of Luke's contribution.