Re: eSpeak command not emitting sound after disabling pulse audio

On 24 October 2013 09:09, Sebastian Humenda <shumenda@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have used the command suggested in the wiki to disable pulseaudio:
>
> dpkg-divert --add --rename /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf
>
> Now, running commands like
>     espeak "Hello World"
> does not work anymore. How can I configure eSpeak to use ALSA? I didn't find a
> command-line option to do so.

The eSpeak binary only supports pulseaudio or portaudio. IIUC,
portaudio should work with ALSA. To enable portaudio, make needs to be
invoked with either |AUDIO=runtime| (pulseaudio or portaudio) or
|AUDIO=portaudio|.

If that does not work, you can try building/using Cainteoir
Text-to-Speech (https://github.com/rhdunn/cainteoir-engine) which
supports eSpeak and ALSA. NOTE: The above command would be:

    echo "Hello World" | cainteoir

It also supports many different document formats like HTML, RTF, ePub
and PDF. There is also a GTK+ GUI available
(https://github.com/rhdunn/cainteoir-gtk).

HTH,
- Reece H Dunn (Cainteoir Technologies)