Re: Debian Installer 7.0 RC2 release

All I did  was to use wodim to burn the iso.  When I got a usable dvd in
the drive everything worked the first time.  You may have run into a
bunch of Chinese Specials in terms of DVD's, these look like they'll
work but bomb out and turn into coasters.

On Wed, 1 May 2013, David Sexton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I am having bigger problems than just the release.
>
> I have a Lenovo idea pad u310
> Dual booting windows seven and vinux 3.2 which is based on ubuntu 11.04.
> Both OS are amd64 and run alright.
>

> Now I want to replace ubuntu with debian.
>
> I downloaded the first dvd of rc2 and in ubuntu have written the iso to usb
> drive in several ways:
> dd if=isofile of=/dev/sdc
> dd if=isofile of=/dev/sdc bs=1M
> cat isofile > /dev/sdc
> cp isofile /dev/sdc
>
> All of these work fine and I can see all the contents of the dvd on the usb
> drive under linux.
> The USB does not boot or I assume it doesn't because there is no beep sound.
> Note that beep works normally with the grub installed that is dual booting
> windows and linux so I know beep works.
>
> In windows, I only see a folder named efi and  in that folder boot and there
> boot.efi. No other files are visible in windows on the usb drive.
>
> In linux I have used fdisk -l to check the partitions on the drive, it says
> the drive has a gpt so I used gdisk, gdisk says the mbr is ok, but the gpt is
> invalid, not sure if that means something.
>
> I have also tried the netinst iso file in similar way.
> So, I guess it must be this drive or hardware I have...
>
> Any ideas?
> David

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do blind people need screen readers?