Re: eyes free install of gnome-desktop-environment not possible

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> pulseaudio turkeys up settings on sound card after gdm starts and once
> that happens speakup no longer works on the machine until debian gets
> reinstalled.

You don't have to reinstall anything to correct sound card settings.
First, delete everything in ~/.pulse to remove the PulseAudio settings.

Secondly, delete /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

finally, reboot the machine. This will take you back to defaults.

You can use amixer or pacmd (the latter if you choose to run Pulse Audio) to
change volume and other parameters.

I haven't encountered your issue because I don't run gdm, and I don't know
what the current state of gdm accessibility is in Debian. I don't use Speakup
extensively either - braille access better meets my needs at the console.