Re: Can you please not send me all those bug reports?

Doug Smith <braillefingers@gmx.com> writes:

> Hi, I aj writing to find out how I can get rid of all those bug reports
> I have been receiving and when something has been accepted into the
> distribution.  I don't need that kiind of information.  If there is
> any way I can not receive this, and still stay on this list, I wish to
> know.

As such, you are the first one to complain about the current situation.
We originally decided to make debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org a
mix of developer and user mailing list on purpose, since the field of
accessibility has rather limited manpower available.  As such, it seemed
(and still does) a good idea to mix development and user discussions
since the chance of a user getting a helpful answer seems a little more
likely if the two groups of people are not artificially separated.

debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org is also used as the Maintainer
address for all our group-maintained packages, which is the reason why
you are seeing bug reports and mails about accepted uploads.  I've
always seen this as a sort of positive side effect, since, again,
the field of accessibility is not *that* large and the way it is
currently, users will notice if a new version of a package they use
regularily has just been updated, or, even better, they will notice bug
reports about programs they possibly use, which might lead to good
synergy effects.  For instance, I normally would announce something like
the recent brltty 4.4-1 upload to sid, but since this is already done
automatically it can not be forgotten about.

That said, I think we have two possible ways to proceed:
 * If after this explanation you still feel that bug reports and upload
   acknowledgements are not bearable for you, you could try to configure
   filtering (or scoring) in your mail setup.

 * If the current amount of automated mails and bug report traffic feels
   counterproductive to other people as well, we could think of setting
   things up such that these messages will go to a specific mailing for
   developers only.  Does any feel strongly about this point?  If so,
   please let your opinion be known.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>