Re: pulseaudio in Wheezy

Kenny Hitt <hittsjunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I posted to try to find a solution for new users.
> What will happen to someone who does a new Wheezy install?  If the solution
> is to do like I did and remove it, can we find an easy way for a speech only
> user to do it without sighted help?

sudo aptitude purge pulseaudio
is easy and accessible.

You can also configure apt to install only dependencies marked as "depends"
rather than as "recommends" - PulseAudio is in the "recommends" category.
However, this might not be what you want for packages generally.
> I realize just putting a package on
> hold is easy for existing users, but can the info be added to the official
> documentation so new users will know that they need to do this before ever
> starting gnome

There might be a home for it on the Debian wiki. I don't know how far away we
are from having Speech-Dispatcher, speakup, Orca, PulseAudio etc., all
coexisting without conflict. The last I read was that the next version of
Speech-Dispatcher is going to handle system-wide and per-session operation
differently, but I haven't been following their work.