pulseaudio in Wheezy

Hi.  My upgrade broke my access to my system again.
As usual, the problem was pulseaudio.  The pulseaudio upgrade added itself to my gnome session.
The result was loss of speech with orca and espeakup.
My solution was to killall -9 pulseaudio and purge pulseaudio from my system.
Although this fixed it for me, I feel Debian needs to adopt a policy concerning pulseaudio.
Making it the default isn't currently an option because it starts muted.
I don't know what would be a good solution, but the current situation isn't good especially for new users.
One idea would be to change the pulseaudio default so it doesn't block other audio on the sound card.
That way, users wouldn't loose speech access.  This assumes speech-dispatcher is using libao for output
instead of it's default of pulseaudio.  If pulseaudio continues to be the default for speech-dispatcher, I don't know
what will be a good solution since the muted pulseaudio would prevent speech output.
I'm not against pulseaudio, but I feel Debian needs to find a solution that works for speech users in the
console as well as the gnome session.

          Kenny