Re: gnome-terminal broken again

Kenny Hitt <hittsjunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not critisizing anyone, just trying to understand and help make the next debian release have the best access to the gui.
> Like it or not, more and more things are only possible with a gui app.

I'm not finding this to be the case. The only reason why I run X at all is for
Firefox/Iceweasel.

When I started working with Gnome and Orca I thought I would use them
regularly, for a variety of X applications, but this is not how it has turned
out. In most areas, the sophisticated tools continue to be text-based or to
have command line interfaces. This is also true of recently written software.
For example, after moving into IP telephony I discovered the FreeSWITCH
project (http://www.freeswitch.org/) (not yet packaged officially for Debian,
but Debian packages can be built from its repository.) It's markedly better
than any of the graphical telephony tools, as it occupies a different class of
application. All you need to be able to do is edit XML configuration files and
use a shell, and as I am comfortable with all of this and with regular
expressions, that's just fine.