X11 without a connected screen

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:

> Odd Martin Baanrud, le Sun 13 Feb 2011 22:47:05 +0100, a écrit :
>> At 15:45 12.02.2011, you wrote:
>>
>> >It looks like Xorg having troubles with starting.

[...]

>> >BTW, do you have a physical screen attached to your desktop?
>>
>> Nope.
>> I don't have place for it on my desk.
>> :-)
>
> Please try to connect it.  X driver developpers are not aware that it
> can be useful to start X without a physical screen attached.

I've noticed this behaviour at least at one point in the past.

I think we should follow up on this and try to raise awareness upstream,
or at least file a bug for it in our bts.

For a 100% blind person, it totally makes sense
to use X11 without a screen turned on, or even connected.

In fact, if desktop accessibility is good enough, it
should even allow sighted users to use their desktop without a connected
screen, which can be a nice escape route in exceptional situations.

Also, I do know stories of accessibility testing where
a sighted application developer is instructed
to try and use their application without a monitor.
Simply not looking there does not really work, so people
ideally turn their monitor off.
Considering DVI, does X11 fail also if a modern monitor is just turned off?

While I usually have a screen attached to allow cooperation with sighted
users, I can perfectly see how other users would try to use X11 without
a screen attached.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕