Re: Speech Dispatcher issues

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:40:13AM +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     TS> However the main problem of the in alsa (I suspect its some sort
>     TS> of race) hasn't been fixed, and Braille Comm doesn't seem very
>     TS> interested in fixing it (its been around atleast since lenny was
>     TS> released).
>
> AFAIK the upstream developer from Brailcom has worked a lot trying to
> fix various ALSA and PulseAudio Speech Dispatcher problems and is very
> interested in fixing them.  The problem is that Linux audio system
> itself is not perfect and there have been issues out of Speech
> Dispatcher scope (e.g. in ALSA, PulseAudio, GLib) which make the work on
> Speech Dispatcher much harder and that are sometimes not easy to resolve
> even when working with other upstream developers.  So some problems are
> still there because of lack of help rather than because of lack of
> interest of the Speech Dispatcher developer.

to be fair they have worked on pulse.  However I haven't seen any
evidence of much interest in fixing alsa.   Sure, linux audio has
issues, but just about every other piece of software that uses it
doesn't crash all the time because of it.  What's really bad about
this is that all they had to do was copy code from alsaplay or aplay,
they hardly have to write anything new at all.

Trev