Re: Activation of Speech Dispatcher under squeeze

GRRRMBL it seems mutt completely garbled my mail, redoing it.

Hynek Hanke, le Fri 24 Sep 2010 14:50:20 +0200, a écrit :
> I would very much prefer to try to include 0.7.1 in Squeeze.

I can check with debian-release, but that'll be hard.

> I'm not sure what is the status of the pthread issue
> reported in this mail?
>     http://lists.freebsoft.org/pipermail/speechd/2010q3/003046.html
> Is this a bug in the package? Is it a bug in the build process?
> Is it a but at all?

It is a bug in the build process.

€ nm -D libspeechd.so.2.2.1 | grep pthread
                 U pthread_cancel
                 U pthread_cond_destroy
                 U pthread_cond_init
                 U pthread_cond_signal
                 U pthread_cond_wait
                 U pthread_create
                 U pthread_exit
                 U pthread_join
                 U pthread_mutex_destroy
                 U pthread_mutex_init
                 U pthread_mutex_lock
                 U pthread_mutex_unlock

libspeechd.so uses pthread_create, so it needs to explicitly link
against the library that provides it, i.e. -lpthread. libc provides a
couple of stubs for things like mutex_lock & such, but clearly not for
pthread_create :)

It works by chance for applications which happen to use pthreads already
(and thus get the pthread_create symbol), but not for applications which
do not use pthreads at all.