Re: [press@debian.org: Debian Project mourns the loss of Frans Pop]

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> As this is now public, I'd like to thank Frans here for his strong
> involvment in discussions between debian-boot and debian-accessibility
> around 2008 which ended up with the accessibility support we currently
> have in the Debian Installer (as well as future software speech
> synthesis which I unfortunately didn't have the time to push for
> Squeeze).

I fully support Samuel's acknowledgment. This effort is a major contribution
to the accessibility of Debian, making it one of the few distributions that
supports braille output in the installer (by default and with no need for user
intervention, if one has a USB braille device).

I have personally benefited from this work, and I know that I am not alone in
this regard.