Re: a11y and pulseaudio in debian squeeze???

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:15:00AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Jason White, le Mon 27 Jul 2009 11:32:24 +1000, a écrit :
> > Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > What does PA bring to desktop audio for casual users btw?
> >
> > Nothing, as far as I know. Network streaming of audio is the only mildly
> > interesting feature that comes to mind, but it isn't likely to be of interest
> > to casual users.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant by "casual".  Independent volume control can be
> interesting indeed.  I'm not sure casual users really care.

If pulse isn't a good idea for current users while interesting for casual
audio-minded users, why not proposing to consider pulse as an exra version
of alsa and make alsa agin the big (and functional afaik) audio interface ?
IMHO evoluting to problems while things have been Ok for years, is a
regression:
you can't make 99% of current users pay for the 0.9% of audio-minded people
who are needing an advanced but problematic product born from alsa.

Aldo.