Re: a11y and pulseaudio in debian squeeze???

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:45:56PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Aldo, le Mon 27 Jul 2009 12:25:52 +0200, a écrit :
> > you can't make 99% of current users pay for the 0.9% of audio-minded people
> > who are needing an advanced but problematic product born from alsa.
>
> That'd precisely why Debian doesn't install pulseaudio by default.
> We're mostly just wondering why Ubuntu considered installing it by
> default.

Well I personally wondered why it does work correctly in Ubuntu while I see
here a merge of both, als and pulse packages, and for example when streaming
with mplayer you clearly see it's pulse who's used:

dpkg -l|grep alsa && dpkg -l|grep pulse :

ii  alsa-base                                  1.0.16-0ubuntu4                           ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-oss                                   1.0.15-1                                  ALSA wrapper for OSS applications
ii  alsa-utils                                 1.0.15-3ubuntu2                           ALSA utilities
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa                         0.10.18-3                                 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii  libesd-alsa0                               0.2.38-0ubuntu9                           Enlightened Sound Daemon (ALSA) - Shared lib
ii  libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa                 1.10.10-1ubuntu6                          Portable Windows Library Audio Plugin for th
ii  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                       1.2.13-1ubuntu1                           Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA
ii  libsox-fmt-alsa                            14.0.0-5                                  SoX alsa format I/O library

ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio                   0.9.7-2                                   GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libpulse-browse0                           0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           PulseAudio client libraries (zeroconf suppor
ii  libpulse0                                  0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           PulseAudio client libraries
ii  libpulsecore5                              0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           PulseAudio sound server core
ii  pulseaudio                                 0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-esound-compat                   0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
ii  pulseaudio-module-gconf                    0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-hal                      0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           HAL device detection module for PulseAudio s
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                      0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                           0.9.10-1ubuntu1                           Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound

The hole thing simply works but I'm not expert enough to declare why
(also note that this is a dpkg -l from a Ubuntu 8.04.3 Hardy (LTS)).

Aldo.