Re: Make syslinux beep?

Hi!

As someone that can sometimes start the installer more than 30 times a
day (which is a lot more often than one usually hears the deadred GDM
beep), I would strongly prefer to avoid a starting beep.

Starting there:
 - most people probably don't start this installer that often,
 - when I really need to start the installer that often, it is with a
   custom built image.

I think I could probably live with a local build configuration flag that
would deactivate the beep, similar to other configuration flags that are
substituted in the syslinux configuration file.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:47:53PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> For the installer there is always the option of having a custom
> accessibility version which has every convenience you can think of
> enabled by default. […]
>
> That option may have to be considered anyway for speakup support (in that
> case it is image size considerations), but that discussion has not yet
> really started.
>
> For a version of the installer with full speech synthesis support, a
> custom image would probably be the _only_ option.

One of the other things that we have discussed (but not it full length)
with Samuel after his talk during the last DebConf was about trying to
add AT-SPI or other GTK+ accessibility features in the graphical
installer.  One of the issue we thought about was about the image size.
So, it would be another aspect that would benefit from a dedicated
image.

I am quite happy to be active in a free software distribution that is
working quite hard on the accessibiliy front.  We already have specific
installation media for people who prefer a desktop manager to another,
and I would be very disapointed if it was not possible to provide
another installation medium more tied up for those who simply want a
system that is usable for them.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism