Re: Make syslinux beep?

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:32:00PM +0200, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
> > For example a beep is generated everytime gdm gets started during the
> > bootup of a machine. I do not know anyone who would complain of that
>
> Very good point, so why isn't that annoying? So surely gdm logins would
> be ran more than installers, and if the gdm log in is not an issue,
> well, why would the installation be?

If it does that by default (which I'm not sure of) I would find that very
annoying. I'm a KDE user myself and luckily KDM does not do something as
silly as that.

Also, a quick google ("gdm beep") gave me this:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.redhat.rhl.general/2003-11/msg02026.html
http://error.wordpress.com/2005/11/03/gdm-please-dont-beep-at-login/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/%2Bsource/gdm/%2Bbug/131126
http://markmail.org/message/5ecwfmnzovmqw63t
and tons more...

I have absolutely no problem with such features being available as
accessibility *options*, but having them enabled by default is just dumb.
Should we also all have huge fonts enabled by default and default high
contrast themes so that visually impaired users can read things
immediately after install?

I'm sorry folks, I have a lot of respect for the extra effort needed every
day to deal with life if you have a disability (of whatever form), but
you cannot expect the world to always change things to fit your needs.

For the installer there is always the option of having a custom
accessibility version which has every convenience you can think of
enabled by default. I know that that also has its downsides, but Debian
does make that relatively easy.

That option may have to be considered anyway for speakup support (in that
case it is image size considerations), but that discussion has not yet
really started.

For a version of the installer with full speech synthesis support, a
custom image would probably be the _only_ option.

Cheers,
FJP