Software speech in Debian installer

Hi,
I was wondering about any possibility of putting software speech of some kind into the Debian installer along with Speakup. I realize it isn't a trivial undertaking, but in my opinion it would really help people who aren't fortunate enough to have hardware speech. I don't know how this might be implemented, and I'm not a developer. Just an idea on the table. I speak from personal experience: I had to install Debian via GRML's debootstrap wrapper: not a fun experience.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Zack.